Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Dad's First Vacation Without Mom

My dad went on his first vacation without my mom this month.  He and one of his best friends that he's known for over 40 years rented a house in the Florida keys from September 1st through September 30th.

Well if anybody followed the news, Hurricane Irma destroyed the Florida keys on September 10th.  My dad and his friend managed to get a flight to Miami September 5th, then rent a car and drive in traffic for two days to make their way up to Atlanta to stay with my uncle.  My dad booked a flight home for tomorrow from Atlanta and his friend drove to Alabama to be with his daughter.

Luckily, my dad was able to get out of the keys a few days before Irma hit but obviously they can't go back to enjoy the rest of the vacation because of all the damage.

It has been a harrowing week with my dad being in the path of a category 5 hurricane but I'm so happy that he is safe.

I guess his first vacation without my mom didn't go all that well, but when I really start thinking about it, it could have been a lot worse.  I think my mom looked out for him in her own way, since many people did not get out of the keys in time.

I hope this doesn't stop my dad from taking another vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment