Friday, January 17, 2014

The Black Hole of Grief

"It has been said that time heals all wounds, I don't agree.  The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue, and the pain lessens, but is never gone."
-Rose Kennedy.

One of the members of the very first bereavement group I attended recited this quote.  She also lost her husband to lung cancer, but she is in her 50's or early 60's and she lost him two years ago.  This kind of freaked me out because it hasn't even been a month since my husband passed away and she, two years in, is still in the deep black hole of grief.

In the beginning of grief, which is where I am, I've heard and read that it gets worse before it gets better.  Dear Lord, how will I be able to handle anything worse than what I'm experiencing now and is this what I have to look forward to in two to three more years?  I felt ancient instantly even though I'm only 34.  Maybe all of this optimism and gratitude that pulls me out of the black hole that threatens to engulf me will slowly fade throughout the years and the black chasm of grief will take over.  I hope and pray that it doesn't, but my research is saying otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment