Sunday, April 13, 2014

Aftermath of April 8th

I've heard that getting through the major anniversaries and celebrations the first year after a loved one's death is the hardest.  I sincerely hope that is true because my first wedding anniversary now that Jeff is gone was one of the hardest weeks so far.

Thank God for my girlfriends.  They give me just enough space to mourn on my own but also do not allow me to dive down into the deep, black chasm of grief and drown.  They made plans to go out to dinner and gently pushed me to celebrate and not just mourn.  Right after work I went to the cemetery to spend some time with Jeff and then I went and met them at a local restaurant.  It turned out to be all of the girls who flew out to our wedding three years ago.  So we spent some quality time together laughing and loving each other.  I am truly grateful to these girls for how much support they've given me through this most difficult time in my life.  I don't know what kind of hot mess I would be if it wasn't for them.  They all took time out of their busy Tuesday night and left their husbands, boyfriends, children, and obligations to be there for me.  Girlfriends truly are the new husbands.

No comments:

Post a Comment