Wednesday, October 18, 2017

My Dad Went Out on His First Date

This past weekend I went over to my parent's house (well I guess it's just my dad's house now that my mom is gone but I'm not quite sure when I'll stop calling it my parent's house) for our weekly Sunday BBQ.

I needed to drop my car off to get the oil changed and my dad met me there and picked me up.  I got in his car and asked him how things were going.  He told me that he is a little at a loss because he said in the past couple of weeks 3 single lady acquaintances have been very forward about letting him know that they were willing and waiting to date him and then proceeded to give their phone numbers to him.

He was very surprised that these three women were so forward and were willing to give him their phone numbers without being asked.  I'm not surprised.  My dad is a very attractive man, in good health, with plenty of money, and very little baggage since my sister and I are grown and take care of ourselves.  He said it seemed like they waited 3 months after mom died and now they are all coming forward and it is a bit overwhelming for him.

He said he wasn't quite sure what to do.  I told him if these women are this confident and forward then he needs to be honest with them and tell them that he's new to this and unsure of how he feels about it. 

I asked him if he found any of these women attractive and would enjoy spending some time with them.  He specifically talked about one woman he used to work with before he retired and that he thought she was attractive and enjoyed her personality and she also didn't seem to have too much baggage since her children were grown, she's been divorced for 10 years, and has her own money.

He decided to give her a call and met her for a beer.  He seemed to enjoy the time and said he was thinking about calling her again to have lunch.

My dad and I discussed the fact that Mom was ok with Dad dating after she was gone and he expressed that he wasn't feeling any guilt over wanting to spend time with another woman.

I'm glad that my dad has no guilt.  Guilt is the biggest thing I struggle with now that Jeff is gone (Hello guilt monster!)  Jeff and I never had the conversation about dating after he died so it makes me very happy that my parents were able to have their conversation and Dad can transition easily hopefully with very little or no guilt about anything.

I'm sure this first date is the beginning of many more for my father and I couldn't be happier for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment